Picking a shipping carrier can be overwhelming and difficult to understand. In order to stop losing excessive money on shipping you need to understand what each major carrier has to offer.
From our experience in the eCommerce world the most sought-after carriers have been:
In this article, we will discuss the different strengths of each carrier and what makes them unique. The best thing for brands to do is partner with a provider that can offer multiple carrier connections, like BUKU. Below you will find more details on some of the most common carriers we are asked about, if you want information about other carriers email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
DHL eCommerce helps their customers succeed in shipping through: Domestic Delivery, Cross Border Delivery, and Fulfillment. Their convenience, control, quality, and choices are offered to every business working with them.
DHL eCommerce states “We take care of every logistical element needed to ensure your customers’ online orders are completed in the most efficient, cost-effective, and consumer-friendly manner possible. Giving you more time to focus on building your business from the inside.”
There are many services that DHL eCommerce provides for domestic deliveries such as:
- End-to-end delivery & returns
- Cash on Delivery and e-wallet payment options
- Traditional ‘doorstep’ and alternative delivery options
- Network of DHL Service Points for easy drop-off and pick-up
- Six delivery days per week
- E-mail/SMS status update alerts
- Green delivery solutions
- Outstanding service quality
- Simple IT Integration options including APIs, Web Portals, major marketplaces and e-commerce platforms
Companies like ShiSeido have experienced benefits like improvement of service quality and performance, positive door-step experience, and reduction in customer complaints.
Cross Border Delivery:
DHL eCommerce offers many services for cross border deliveries. They cover more than 220 countries and territories around the world.
Some of these services include:
- Simple and affordable cross border shipping with returns
- Choice of service levels and features
- Connection to domestic delivery networks
- Integrated tracking platform with end-to-end visibility
- B2C customs clearance
- Simple IT Integration options including APIs, web portals, major marketplaces and e-commerce platforms
Babyonline Co. Ltd. is a client of theirs and have seen increased order volumes and improved consumer shopping experience.
“Fulfillment is our end-to-end holistic delivery and logistics service. Offering complete management of your e-commerce transactions; including seamless integration through major platforms or APIs, real-time visibility of fulfillment and shipping, advanced reporting capabilities, a broad range of shipping services and, of course, use of any of our globally located multi-user facilities.”
The services provided include:
- A global multi-site fulfillment network
- Broad delivery options, tailored to your needs
- Support for omni-channel strategies through a mix of B2C and B2B fulfillment services
- Integration with top e-commerce platforms & marketplaces
- Transactional pricing
- End-to-end visibility of all your shipments & processes
- Reporting across all order data for continuous transparency and optimization of the entire supply chain
The Healthy Chef found, a customer of theirs, said this helped in three ways. It improved picking accuracy of daily fulfillment orders. Improved visibility of stock at DHL eCommerce facilities. And the ability to focus on extending product range and growing business since starting with DHL eCommerce.
DLH Express specializes in international express shipping. They have connections with more than 220 countries and territories around the world. There are many factors that differentiate them from the competition and are the reason why they are so trusted to deliver millions of packages worldwide.
First off, they have international expertise after having worked in international shipping over a long period of time. They know how to handle a multitude of situations and understand the different problems that may occur. And with this expertise comes speed. “We leverage our unrivaled global expertise and Customs know-how to keep your shipments moving swiftly – providing door-to-door expedited shipment delivery on the next possible business day.”
DHL Express is helpful for any size of company at any level of their business. “Whether the target is B2B or B2C, today your e-commerce company is in an ideal position to grow by selling internationally. So, whether you’re just starting your export journey or you’re already selling overseas, we can help you understand what you need to expand globally.”
Although eCommerce isn’t in the title of DHL express, they still help out a lot of eCommerce businesses internationally. They support them in ways such as:
- Global reach
- Express delivery options
- Flexible delivery options for receivers
- Duty billing options and customs expertise
- Consultative advice for our customers on how to increase sales and grow cross-border
Maximize your international ecommerce potential with DHL Express.
DHL Express and eCommerce also strive to be more sustainable. They have a current goal to achieve zero emissions by the year 2050.
FedEx is another household name that can get the job done. They’ve been in business for over 50 years and understand the problems and solutions of modern shipping. They have a variety of services both domestic and internationally. They offer affordable rates and a variety of speeds to help satisfy your customer.
Some of the most popular services include:
- Ship with FedEx Ground for quick, commercial delivery in 1–5 business days (with most packages arriving within 3 business days). Use FedEx Home Delivery for reliable, low-cost shipping rates every day of the week.
- Choose overnight when you’re facing a tight deadline to get your package there the next business day.
- When you need to ship to another country via air or ocean. Learn the basics, including speed options, air and ocean solutions, duties, taxes, harmonized codes and more.
- Shipping over 150lbs.? Explore air and LTL options, classify your freight shipments and get other tools to make freight shipping easier.
- Need to ship time-sensitive packages? Our same-day services provide reliable door-to-door delivery within hours, across town or across the country.
- Use FedEx One Rate®shipping for express shipments under 50 lbs. so you don’t have any surprising fees or surcharges.
So not only are they a possibility with domestic shipments but international as well. “We created the FedEx International Shipping Assist tool to help make your international shipping process more efficient and accurate. Key features include: instant access to important shipping information, the ability to save and reuse Harmonized System codes, and estimated duties and taxes for repeat shipments.”
These services and much more are some of the strongpoints offered by FedEx.
USPS or United States Postal Service is the only delivery service that reaches every address in the US. 160 million residences, businesses, and Post Office Boxes. USPS is used for mainly domestic shipments when compared to the other carriers discussed, but also tout international options.
Domestically they have a variety of appealing options all that vary in price and timeline. Possibilities vary from next day to 2-8 days. Flat rate shipping options are available with insurance and tracking included.
Priority Mail Express ($$$)
- Letters, large or thick envelopes, tubes, and packages containing mailable items can be sent using Priority Mail Express.
Priority Mail ($$)
- This service is typically used to send documents, gifts, and merchandise.
First-Class Mail ($)
- Postcards, letters, large envelopes, and small packages can be sent using First-Class Mail. This service is typically used for personal and business correspondence and bills.
USPS Retail Ground ($)
- Small and large packages, thick envelopes, and tubes containing gifts and merchandise can be sent domestically using USPS Retail Ground.
Media Mail ($)
- Small and large packages and thick envelopes can be sent domestically using Media Mail. Contents are limited to books, manuscripts, sound recordings, and certain other educational materials.
Returns are also a large value proposition that draws in clients. “Businesses can offer their customers tens of thousands of drop-off points, either by visiting one of the more than 30,000 Post Offices around the country or, if the package is the appropriate size and weight, at one of the thousands of blue mailboxes along the nation’s sidewalks. Approximately 88 percent of the nation’s ZIP Codes also have free pickup available from home mailboxes or doorsteps.
With its unrivaled network of last-mile and first-mile presence — on most of the nation’s streets six and seven days a week — the Postal Service is best positioned to give businesses of any size a competitive edge and offer consumers convenient options to return merchandise.”
DHL eCommerce, DHL Express, FedEx, and USPS are all great options to consider. Having them all available to you gives you a good variety of options for shipping. Being able to work with these carriers is a must because of the reach they all have both domestically and abroad.
When choosing a shipping option, it is best to compare and contrast rates and speeds. That’s why using software like BUKU is so helpful. With BUKU your brand can dynamically rate shop.
What is dynamic rate shopping? It is the ability to analyze a variety of shipping rates at once to fund the most cost-effective option for you. With BUKU this can be done instantaneously for each shipment in the shopping cart. That way you and your customers are getting the best deal every time.